Bachelor of Music General Graduation Requirements
See also: B.M General Education Requirements
General Graduation Requirements
Students must take the equivalent of 35 St. Olaf credits through a combination of full-credit and fractional-credit courses. Note: For numerical purposes, the term "course" means a full (1.00) course credit, as distinguished from fractional course credits, unless otherwise noted.
Seventeen of the 35 credits required for graduation must be taken through St. Olaf College. This may include St. Olaf-sponsored off-campus programs. See, however, Participation in Commencement.
At least three of the required 35 credits must be earned in three separate January full-credit (1.0) Interims. An Interim may be taken on campus, through a St. Olaf off-campus Interim program, or through an approved Interim exchange with another 4-1-4 college. Transfer students admitted with at least sophomore standing must complete two Interims. After having successfully completed two Interims, senior participators may satisfy the third Interim requirement by means of a summer course taken during a St. Olaf summer session after the commencement in which the student participates.
Grade Points and Grade Point Average
An average grade of C (2.00 on a 4.00 system) for all courses taken for the usual letter grades. See Grade Point Average for details.
Satisfactory completion of 18 credits above level I, courses numbered 200 and higher. A course can earn only its assigned level. It cannot be raised in level as the result of extra studies, assignments, or performance.
A minimum of 24 credits out of 35 must be taken graded through courses taken from a St. Olaf professor. A sliding scale is used if not all work is taken at St. Olaf or if credit is earned through special programs such as Advanced Placement. Sophomore transfer students need a minimum of 18 graded credits and junior transfer students a minimum of 13 graded credits. Details are available from the registrar. All students should be aware of the restrictions on S/U and P/N grades. Students studying on St. Olaf off-campus programs should refer to Graded and Ungraded Courses in the Academic Regulations section of this catalog for details about how this graduation requirement is affected by off-campus programs.
Major — 8 or More Credits
B.M. candidates must choose from the five majors offered. Please consult the Music Department listing in this catalog for specific major requirements. These constitute the final authority on degree requirements. Entrance to all B.M. majors is by audition and/or application only. Once approved, students should declare their major formally as soon as possible by submitting a completed declaration of major form to the Music Department office. Subsequent changes are allowed, but students are encouraged to keep their records current, documenting any changes with re-submissions of the same form. Other regulations are:
- Of the credits counting toward the minimum requirements for a major, a total of six (6.00) must be completed with a grade of C or higher.
- No courses explicitly required for a B.M Music major may be taken S/U.
- At least 50 percent of the minimum major must be taken through St. Olaf. Students should consult the registrar and the department chair or program director about counting toward a major courses taken at other colleges. In addition to the registrar, the chair must sign the student’s transfer of credit form (available from the Registrar's Office) if work from other institutions is accepted in advance. Likewise, courses taken through St. Olaf off-campus programs must be approved by the chair or director and the off-campus program advisor in advance if credit toward a major is sought. (See Transfer of Credit to St. Olaf).
- Certification of a completed major is the responsibility and prerogative of the department chair, not the registrar.
- Graduation requirements for majors within the Bachelor of Music degree may vary widely. Students should consult this catalog and the Music Department chair.
Credits Outside the Major
Not applicable to the Bachelor of Music.
Completion of Incomplete Grades
A student with an incomplete on his/her academic record may participate in Commencement if all other requirements for graduation have been met (see Participation in Commencement). Only after a final grade has been recorded for the course, however, will a degree be conferred and a diploma issued.